- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast -cut into small bite size pieces
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 (1 top and 1 bottom) unbaked pie crusts (could use pre-made refrigerated – 1 box)
- Make sure there is an oven rack on the bottom rack of the oven. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, salt, garlic powder, thyme leaves, and pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, stirring often.
- Add the flour. Stir well, until no dry flour remains. Slowly stir in the cream, then the chicken broth. Cook until bubbling and thick, stirring often, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the peas and flat leaf parsley. Let this cool for 15-30 minutes before filling the pie.*
- Fit one pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate. Spoon the cooled filling into the pie crust. Top with the second pie crust. Seal the edges of the pie crust together. Cut 3-4 slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place the filled pie plate on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Cool for 15-30 minutes before slicing and serving.**
*Pouring hot filling into the unbaked pie crust will make the crust soggy. You could make the filling up to 3 days ahead of time and store it in a sealed container in the refrigerator.**The longer the pot pie can cool before slicing, the thicker/less runny the filling will be.